Wednesday, December 11, 2013

DAY ONE



Arrived the first morning at 10am their time; (5am with no sleep on the plane).  Kathryn picked me up and drove me to their house: cup of tea, then slept for two hours.  By the time we left, walked to the train station through the English countryside (I kept thinking: “It's just like on TV – that Midsummer murder show – and in fact they film some episodes there) – it was getting on in the day, and we still had the ride into London. I got to my first sightseeing spot – Big Ben and Westminster Abbey, but it was dark by then, and after seeing the abbey marvels, I had to eat. First things first.
Eleven pounds for fish and chips!!! And no cole slaw! - that's $20 bloody dollars!  But I'm on holiday...., so I pay and attack the tour again:

“Frith Street? Yah, turn left at the corner” “Right”, I answer. (No, left, ha ha). But the joke really is that at the end of the street, there exists not a corner at all, but a seething circle of vehicles and people, and off the circle are tentacles going in every direction possible.   'Left' could be a choice of four or five avenues.  Must be the Roman model. So, I am left to my 'roamin', never finding what I seek, but discovering lots on the way (Hey, is this symbolic? Am I deep? Or simply lost, as usual?) In any case, for a first visit ever to this city, and in the dark, I'm doing alright. Wandering on the convoluted streets, I finally found Ronnie Scott's famous jazz club.  Unfortunately, a musician I didn't really want to see playing both nights I was there.  The upstairs jam started too late for me, especially when I only wanted to sing, so I just took a few pictures, and went home.
walking to the train station in Denham

The Abbey lying down

the famous jazz club

would have like to see the 'commitments' stage show...

No comments:

Post a Comment